Elections to the European Parliament
Information for European Union citizens who intend to vote in the elections to the European Parliament on the territory of the Slovak Republic
Date and time of the Elections
Elections to the European Parliament in the Slovak Republic will be held
on Saturday, 24th May 2014 from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.
Conditions to exercise one’s voting right
Pursuant to Act No. 331/2003 Coll. on the Elections to the European Parliament, a citizen of a European Union Member State (“EU citizen”) shall be entitled to vote in the European Parliamentary Elections on the territory of the Slovak Republic provided he/she fulfils the following criteria:
- is at least eighteen years old on the polling day,
- holds a permanent resident’s permit in the Slovak Republic,
- were not deprived elective law in member state of their origin.
The right to be elected
Pursuant to Act No. 331/2003 Coll. on the Election to the European Parliament for deputy of European Parliament can be elected citizen of European Union Member State that:
- is at least 21 years of age on the day of elections,
- holds a permanent resident’s permit on the territory of the Slovak Republic,
- has not been deprived of candidature in the member state of his/her origin,
- has not occur impediments to enforcement elective law.
Conditions of entry into the Electoral Register
- An EU citizen already holding a permanent resident’s permit in the Slovak Republic and wishing to vote in the European Parliamentary Elections in the Slovak Republic, will be enroll into the Electoral Register in his/her place of permanent residence upon application form and declaration. Application for enrol into the Electoral Register hand into municipal office at latest 40 days before polling day (no later than April 14, 2014). Example of application form and declaration is below.
- An EU citizen without a permanent residence permission and staying on the territory of the Slovak Republic more than three months and wishing to vote in the European Parliamentary elections in Slovak Republic have to request for permanent residence permission.
To apply for the permanent residence permission for citizen of the European Union Member State, go to the local department of the Border Police Office competent for the place of your residence on the territory of the Slovak Republic. Citizen of the European Union Member State is bound to show passport with application form. The Competent Police Office will issue confirmation of apply for the permanent residence permission on the registration day. In case of any problems, you can also contact department of the Border Police Office, which is faulted in framework of the Head Office of Border and Foreigners Police Bratislava, Head Office of the Border and Foreigners Police Banská Bystrica, Head Office of the Border and Foreigners Police Prešov.
He/she will be enrolled in the Electoral Register in place of permanent residence upon application form and declaration. Application for enroll into Electoral Register hand into municipal office at latest 40 days before polling day (no later than April 14, 2014). Example of the Application form and declaration is below.
Information about the elections
After you have entered into the Electoral Register, the municipality of your permanent residence in the Slovak Republic will notify you of the date and time of elections, the number of your polling district and the address of the polling station, together with the information about the voting procedure itself. If you are not able to vote at the polling district at which you are registered, you can request the municipal office for a polling card that will enable you to vote in any polling district on the territory of the Slovak Republic.
Information for the voters about method of voting
At the polling station you have to prove your identity by the identity card or by passport. An elector who appears at a polling station with a polling card shall be entered by the polling district committee into both counterpart copies of the electoral register.
In the polling station you obtain the ballot along with an empty envelope, stamped with the official stamp of the municipality.
In order to cast the ballot you must go to the place assigned for marking ballots, otherwise, the polling Electoral committee will not allow you to vote.
In the place assigned for marking ballots, voter place one of the ballot papers without any further modification in the envelope and cast the envelope into the ballot box, or mark your preferential vote for a particular candidate by circling the order number of the candidate on one of the ballot papers. You may circle the order number of no more than two candidates. Place the ballot paper modified in this way in the envelope and cast it into the ballot box.
If you are unable to mark the ballot due to the health disability or due to the fact that you are not able to read or write, you have the right to take another voter with you to the place assigned for marking ballots. Such a person may not be a member of the polling Electoral committee. To mark the ballot follow the instructions and put it in the stamped envelope.
If, due to the health disability, you are unable to place the envelope into the ballot box, it could be done after your request and in your presence by another voter who is not the member of the polling district committee.
If, due to the health disability, you are unable to come to the polling station, you may request the polling district committee to execute your voting in the transferable ballot box.